Jump to the Years:
Six Flags Over Mid-America
- 132 acre park (497 total acres) opens on June 5 as the 3 rd Six Flags park in Eureka , Missouri (about 30 minutes southwest of St. Louis ) at the cost of $55 million dollars.
- Park opens with six themed sections - Missouri , Spain , England , Illinois , France and USA (these are the “Six Flags” of the park).
- The River King Mine Train (Arrow Dynamics Mine Train with 2 different sides/tracks) in France section – one side/track removed in 1988.
- The Hannibarrels (Intamin Drunken Barrels) in France section – closed in 1997, not removed.
- The Hoo Hoo Log Flume (Arrow Dynamics Log Flume with 2 different sides/tracks) in Spain section.
- Injun Joe's Cave (dark ride) in Spain section - name/theme changed in 1979
- Mississippi Adventure (Arrow Dynamics boat ride) in Spain section – removed in 1982.
- Moon Antique Cars (Arrow Dynamics with 2 sides) in Missouri section.
- Super Sports Car Ride (Arrow Dynamics with 2 sides) in USA section – removed in 1979.
- Angle Tangle (crooked fun house) in England section – removed in 1982.
- Pet-A-Pet (petting zoo) in England section – removed in 1985.
- Six Flags Railroad (2 Crown trains) with Allenton and St. Louis stations.
- The Sky-Way (Von Roll) with Illinois and USA stations – removed in 1981.
- Mule-Go-Round in Illinois section – removed in 1972.
- The parks' show venues are: The Palace (in Missouri section), Miss Kitty's (in England section), Dolphin Arena (in Illinois section), Krofft's Puppet Theater and Chevy Show (both in USA section).
1972:General Admission - $6.50
- Carousel (1915 PTC Carousel) opens in England section
- Tom's Twister (Chance Rotor) opens in Illinois section - removed in 2005.
- Space Scramble (Eli Bridge Scrambler) opens in USA section
- The River King Mine Train name changed to River King Run-Away Mine Train.
- Mule-Go-Round removed at end of season.
1973: General Admission - $6.50:
- Dodge City (bumper cars) opens in the Illinois section.
- Mo-Mo The Monster (Eyerly Aircraft Company Monster) opens in the Illinois section – removed in 1994.
- Angle Tangle name changed to The Funn Family Place.
- Old Glory Amphitheater (major concert venue) opens in Illinois section.
1974: General Admission - $6.50
- Various park improvements.
- Part of Illinois section (northern most most area of the park, beyond railroad tracks - which contains Dodge City and Mo-Mo The Monster, plus new restaurants and games area) changed to Old Chicago section
1975: General Admission - $7.00
- Goodtime Hollow (kiddie area) opens
- Allenton train station name changed to Old Chicago station
- The Funn Family Place name changed to Tiltmore Hotel.
- GoodTime Hollow (Kids Area) Open
- Rock Candy Express (Bradley and Kaye Little Dipper – kiddie coaster)
- Last Roundup (kiddie Carousel)
- Red Baron (Zamperla Red Baron – kiddie bi-plane ride)
- Fort Funtier (kiddie playground) – removed end of 1984.
- Happy Hotrods (kiddie spinning car ride) – removed end of 1984.
- Good Time Hollow Theater (kids show venue) – removed end of 1984.
- Allenton train station name changed to Old Chicago station.
- The Funn Family Place name changed to Tiltmore Hotel .
1976 or 1977:
- Krofft's Puppet Theater changed to Americana Play House, which year?
1976: General Admission - $7.50
- Screamin' Eagle (John Allen designed, PTC built wooden roller coaster) opens in Illinois section.
1977: General Admission - $8.50
- Highland Fling (Schwarzkopf Enterprise) opens in England section.
1978: General Admission - $8.50
- Sky Chuter (Intamin 250ft. tall parachute drop) opens in England section – removed in 1982.
- The Hoo Hoo Log Flume name changed to Nestea Plunge .
- Tuesday, July 26 – 3 people were killed and 1 seriously injured when sky car fell off of the Sky-Way ride(behind what is now Panda Express).
1979 or 1980:
- Dolphin Arena changed to Aquarena, which year?
1979: General Admission - $8.99
- Injun Joe's Cave becomes Time Tunnel.
- Super Sports Car Ride removed at end of season.
- Action Factory (VR arcade?) opens in current River King Mine Train transfer house building (not around anymore) and the (River King) Disco opens within this building - the entire building and all attractions are likely removed at the end of 1983 season?
1980: General Admission - $9.75
- The Buccaneer (Intamin Bounty) opens in USA section.
- Rock 'N Reel (motion simulator about the park) opens within Action Factory building.
- Haunted House added in Illinois section (where Tidal Wave is today).
- Nestea Plunge name changed to Log Flume
1981: General Admission - $10.99
- Jet Scream (Schwarzkopf Looping Star roller coaster) opens in USA section – removed in 1988.
- The Space Scramble name changed to The Scrambler , which year?
- The Sky-Way removed at end of season.
- Country Fair special event begins
- Bally corporation purchases Sixflags
- Mississippi Adventure, Tiltmore Hotel & Sky Chuter all removed at end of season.
- Ball Crawl added in Goodtime Hollow, which year?
- Thunder River (Intamin Rapids water ride) opens in Illinois section, ride located where Mississippi Adventure was and entrance is located where Tiltmore Hotel was.
- Aero Flyer (Chance Yo-Yo) opens in England section, where Sky Chuter was located (Sky Chuter moved to Six Flags Great Adventure).
- Ferris Wheel (Zamperla Mini Ferris Wheel - kiddie ride) added in Goodtime Hollow. (may have been added in 1984?) - removed in 2005
- Carousel name changed to Grand Ole Carousel. (may have happened in 1984?)
- Haunted House removed either before or after season?
- Six Flags signs licensing deal to use Looney Tunes characters at parks.
- Arrow stand-up cars added to current side of River King Mine Train , some track modifications made and sides' name is changed from River King Run-Away Mine Train to Rail Blazer . Rails are painted red on this side. The normal Mine Train cars return for the 1985 season and the ride is once again named River King Mine Train.
- The other sides' name is changed from River King Run-Away Mine Train back to River King Mine Train.
- Americana Play House changed to Olympic Theater.
- Happy Hotrods, Fort Funtier and Goodtime Hollow Theater all removed after season.
- Saturday, July 7 – Woman dies after falling from the Rail Blazer.
- Looney Tunes Town (kiddie area) opens, replacing Goodtime Hollow, rides include:
1986: Genteral Admission - $13.95
- Acme Gravity Powered Roller Ride (Bradley and Kaye Little Dipper - kiddie coaster) was Rock Candy Express
- Bugs Bunny Burrow (kiddie tunnel crawl) NEW removed in 2005
- Cat Climb (kiddie net climb with slide) NEW removed in 2005
- Daffy Duck Airways (Zamperla? Red Baron - kiddie planes) was Red Baron
- Elmer Fudd Constwuction Company (kiddie sandbox) NEW removed in 1989
- Flying Cages (Zamperla Mini Ferris Wheel) was Ferris Wheel
- Foghorn Leghorn Funasium (kiddie ball crawl with slide) was Ball Crawl? - removed in 1996
- Merry Melodies Go-Round (kiddie Carousel) was Last Roundup, location moved next to Daffy Duck Airways (where Happy Hotrods was located)
- Porky Pig B-B-B Ball Park (kiddie ball crawl) NEW removed in 1999
- Tasmanian Devil Taxi Company (kiddie roller racers/scooters) NEW removed in 1999
- Yosemite Sam Summit (kiddie ball crawl with summit) NEW removed in 1989
- Olympic Theater changed to Looney Tunes Theater.
- Colossus (Carousel Holland B.V. 180 ft. tall Ferris wheel) replaces Petting Zoo in Missouri section.
1987: Wesray Corpotation buys Six Flags
- Rush Street Flyer (Chance Falling Star) opens in Illinois section.
- The following changes occur in the USA section.
- Buccaneer name changed to Yankee Clipper.
- The Scrambler name changed to U.S. Express.
- Looney Tunes Theater changed to Bugs Bunny TheaterTime Tunnel name changed to Tunel Del Tiempo (Spanish for Time Tunnel). (may have been renamed in 1986?)
- Tom's Twister is closed. (may have closed in 1986?)
1988: General Admission - $16.00 Estimated Attendance - 1.547 million
- Scrambler/U.S. Express moved to Spain section and renamed El Toro Bravo.
- The Condor (Huss Condor) opens where Scrambler/U.S. Express was in USA section and is removed at end of season.
- Jet Scream removed at end of season, moved to Six Flags Astroworld - Viper.
- One side/track of River King Mine Train removed, was SBNO all year long.
- Fright Nights Halloween special event begins (numbered I through V, 1988-1992).
1989: General Admission - $17.50 Estiimated Attendance - 1.700 million
- Ninja (Vekoma Custom MK-1200 roller coaster) opens in USA section, originally operated at Expo ‘86 in Vancouver , Canada .
- Legends Of The Dark Castle replaces Time Tunnel.
- Tremors Dance Pavilion (open select nights) opens where Jet Scream was located.
- Old Chicago section becomes part of Illinois section. (may have happened in 1988?)
1990: General Admission - 18.50 Estimated Attendance - 1.625 million
- Two new kiddie rides in Looney Tunes Town :
- Speedy Gonzales Speedway (kiddie battery powered jeeps) replaces Elmer Fudd's Constwuction Company
- Tasmanian Devil Twister (Zamperla Swing Ride - kiddie swings) opens where Tasmanian Devil Taxi Company was located Tasmanian Devil Taxi Company moved to part of Porky Pig B-B-B Ball Park structure and is renamed Road Runner Rally. Yosemite Sam's Summit is closed/removed.
- Yosemite Sam's Summit is closed/removed.
- Screamin' Eagle gets new trains.
- Tom's Twister reopens.
1991: Estimated Attendance - 1.590 million
- Time Warner purchases one half of Six Flags
- Blackstone Group and Wethein Schroder & Company purchase other half
- Tidal Wave (Hopkins Shoot the Chute water ride) opens in Illinois section.
- Dodge City name changed to Water Street Cab Company.
1992: Estimated Attendance - 1.812 Million
- Castaway Kids Jungle Adventure replaces Legends of the Dark Castle .
1993: Estimated Attendance - 1.6 million
1994: Estimated Attendance - 1.850 Million
- Great Britain section changed to Britannia section. USA section changed to USA / Movietown section.
- Mo-Mo The Monster removed at end of season.
- Aquarena changed to Sherwood Forest Theater.
- Bugs Bunny Theater changed to Empire Theater.
- Cinema 180(Chevy Show) changed to Sound Stage No. 2.
1995: Estimated Attendance - 2 million
- Batman: The Ride (B & M Inverted roller coaster) opens where Carrot Club was in Time Warner Studios section which replaces the USA section.
- France section changed to Choteau's Market section.
- Yankee Clipper name changed to Gotham Harbor .
- Grand Ole Carousel name changed to Enchanted Carousel .
- Aero Flyer name changed to Dragon's Wing .
Six Flags St. Louis
1996: General Admission - $28.95 Estimated Attendance - 1.8 million
- 25th Anniversary of the park, name changed to Six Flags St. Louis during season.
- Warner Bros. Backlot section replaces Time Warner Studios.
- Hannibarrels name changed to Powder Keg .
- Gotham Harbor name changed to The Joker, Inc.
- Aero Flyer/Dragon's Wing moved to former Mo-Mo The Monster location in Illinois section and renamed Riverview Racer .
- Dragon's Wing (Skycoaster extra charge attraction) opens where Aero Flyer was in Britannia section.
1997: General Admission - $29.95 Estimated Attendance - 1.80 million
- Mr. Freeze (Premier LIM roller coaster) is built, but fails to open due to technical problems (mostly with LIM's) in DC Comics Plaza which replaces the Spain section.
- El Toro Bravo name changed to Shazam!
- Castaway Kids Jungle Adventure name changed to Castaway Kids Comic Book Adventure .
- Looney Tooter (Zamperla Rio Grande – kiddie train ride) replaces Speedy Gonzales Speedway and Foghorn Leghorn Funasium in Looney Tunes Town .
- Powder Keg is closed.
1998: Estimated Attendance - 1.556 million
- Mr. Freeze (Premier LIM roller coaster) opens.
- Enchanted Carousel name changed back to Grand Ole Carousel .
- Eagle's Bluff (extra charge rock climbing wall) opens in Choteau's Market section - removed in 2005.
- Ninja repainted with black track and grayish supports.
1999: General Admission - $34.99 Estimated Attendance - 2.059 million
- Hurricane Harbor (Aquatic Amusement Associates, Ltd. 12 acre Tahitian themed water park) opens in parking lot, takes over catered picnic facility, rides include:
- Speed O' Drome Go-Karts (J & J Amusements extra charge go-karts) opens in Britannia section.
- Moon Antique Cars track shortened, because of movement of catered picnic facility.
- Country Fair special event ends.
- Hurrican Harbor Opening Attractions:
- Big Kahuna (Proslide Technology Inc. “Colorado Series”) – family raft ride
- 3 speed slides (Proslide Technology Inc. “Cook Series”) – Geronimo Falls (green straight speed slide), Kontiki Falls and Wahini Falls (red and blue twisting speed slides)
- 4 tube slides (Proslide Technology Inc. “Zambezi Series”) – Piranha (red) and Man-O-War (yellow) partially enclosed, Hammerhead (green) and Stingray (teal) completely enclosed
- Hook's Lagoon (Koala Play Group Discovery Treehouse with slides from Proslide Technology Inc.) – family activity area
- Hurricane Bay – wave pool
- Gulley Washer Creek – lazy river
2000: General Admission - $38.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.9 million
- The Boss (CCI wooden roller coaster) opens in Britannia section.
- Crazy Maze (kiddie maze) replaces Road Runner Rally and Porky Pig B-B-B Ball Park in Looney Tunes Town - removed in 2005.
- Castaway Kids Comic Book Adventure closed.
2001: General Admission - $36.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.86 million
- Log Flume name changed to The Ice Mountain Splash .
- Turbo Bungy (Eurobungy extra charge bungee/trampoline) and Virtual Theater (Ham On Rye VR, extra charge) added in Warner Bros. Backlot section.
- Richard Rodriquez rides The Boss for 100 consecutive days (May 3 – August 10) to set a new world record for roller coaster endurance riding.
2002: General Admission - $38.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.75 million
- Warner Bros. Backlot section changed to Studio Backlot section.
- Scooby-Doo! Ghostblasters – The Mystery Of The Scary Swamp (Sally Corp. interactive family dark ride) replaces Castaway Kids in DC Comics Plaza.
- Slingshot (Funtime Sling Shot extra charge attraction) added in front of Sound Stage No. 2 in Studio Backlot section.
- Speedy Gonzales Speedway (kiddie spinning car ride) opens where Tweety's Flying Cages was located in Looney Tunes Town. (this ride may be the old Happy Hotrods ride or was it moved from another park?)
- Tweety's Flying Cages moved to center of Looney Tunes Town .
- Crazy Maze name changed to Mavin's Maze .
- Mr. Freeze trains redesigned to have lap bars only.
- Country Fair special event returns.
- Fast Lane - Technology by Lo-Q (extra charge virtual line queing system) added to The Boss, Batman: The Ride, Ninja, Mr. Freeze, River King Mine Train, Tidal Wave, The Ice Mountain Splash, Thunder River and Scooby-Doo! Ghostblasters – The Mystery Of The Scary Swamp, also used on Haunted Hayride during Fright Fest.
2003: General Admission - $38.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.675 million
- Xcalibur (Ronald Bussink Professional Rides Evolution), moved from Six Flags Great Adventure, replaces Great Escape arcade in Britannia section.
- 1st drop of Screamin' Eagle re-tracked.
- Country Fair special event cancelled/ends.
2004: General Admission - $39.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.35 million
- Several sections of The Boss re-tracked.
- Re-tracking continues on the Screamin' Eagle.
- Other various general park improvements.
- Fast Lane - Technology by Lo-Q (extra charge virtual line queing system) added to The Palace and Miss Kitty's (preferred seating at shows).
- Six people ride Colossus for 72 straight hours (June 15 - 19) to set a new Guinness world record for riding a Ferris Wheel (originally 12 people were to be involved).
2005: General Admission - $41.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.377 million
- Tornado (Proslide Technology Inc. Tornado) – funnel shaped tube slide that uses four person cloverleaf or two person “whirl wheel” tubes added in Hurricane Harbor.
- Virtual Theater renamed 4-D Theater .
- Colossus is repainted.
- Re-tracking continues on the 2 nd half of the Screamin' Eagle.
- Rush Street Flyer is SBNO for the season.
- Tom's Twister is removed at end of season.
- Bugs Bunny Burrow, Cat Climb, Marvin's Maze and Tweety's Flying Cages are all removed from Looney Tunes Town at end of season.
- Eagle's Bluff (extra charge rock climbing wall) is removed at end of season.
- Other various general park improvements.
2006: General Admission - $44.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.377 million
- Superman: Tower Of Power (Intamin 230ft. tall giant drop) added in Illinois section in part of Old Chicago games area (next to Pizza Express); ride moved from Six Flags Astroworld.
- Bugs Bunny National Park (new kiddie area) opens in part of Gateway To The West (old Tom's Twister area), part of Illinois section and Sherwood Forest area; includes the following:
- Bugs Bunny Ranger Pilots (Zamperla? Red Baron) was Daffy Duck Airways
- Daffy Duck Duccaneer (Sartori kiddie swinging ship), moved from Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Elmer Fudd Weather Balloons (Samba Balloons) NEW
- Foghorn Leghorn National Park Railway (Zamperla Rio Grande - kiddie train ride) was Looney Tooter
- Marvin The Martian Camp Invasion (Zamperla Crazy Sub), moved from Six Flags Astroworld
- Taz Twisters (Zamperla Mini Tea Cups) - NEW
- Tweety Twee House (Zamperla Jumpin' Star - kiddie drop tower) - NEW
- Yosemite Sam Tugboat Tailspin (Zamperla Rockin' Tug) - NEW
- (Koala Play Group treehouse) - NEW; in Sherwood Forest area
- (Mini Pop Jets interactive fountain) NEW
- The following changes occured in Looney Tunes Town:
- Acme Gravity Powered Roller Ride (Bradley and Kaye Little Dipper ï¿½ kiddie coaster) moved to where Looney Tooter and Tweety's Flying Cages were located
- Speedy Gonzales Speedway (kiddie spinning car ride) moved to where Daffy Duck Airways was located
- Merry Melodies Go-Round (kiddie Carousel) moved next to Tasmanian Devil Twister?
- Tasmanian Devil Twister (Zamperla Swing Ride - kiddie swings) not moved.
- Moon Antique Cars track extended to where Speed Gonzales Speedway, Acme Gravity Powered Roller Ride, Cat Climb, Marvin's Maze, Bugs Bunny Burrow and Merry Melodies Go-Round were located at Looney Tunes Town.
- Screamin Eagle is repainted and gets a new control system
- The Ice Mountain Splash name changed back to Log Flume.
- Old Chicago station name changed to Bugs Bunny National Park Train Station.
- The Ice Mountain Splash name changed back to Log Flume.
2007: General Admission - $44.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.320 million
- Tony Hawk's Big Spin (Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster), added in Britannia section - where Sherwood Forest Theater was located; ride is added to Flash Pass System
- Several sections of The Boss re-tracked.
- The Rockin Roller, Great Race Speedway, Kiddie-Go-Round and Twister Swings (the "Fairgrounds" area of 1904 World's Fair) are all closed for the season, all rides removed late in the season
2008: General Admission - $44.99 Estimated Attendance - 1.400 million
- Evel Knievel (Great Coaster Int. wooden twister coaster) added in 1904 Worlds Fair - where original Moon Cars track and "Fairgrounds" (old kids area) were located.
- Moon Cars track modified to go through and around the Evel Knievel roller coaster
- Sections of The Boss and Screamin' Eagle were retracked
- Twist Swings (Zamperla Swing Ride - kiddie swings) moved to where Daffy Duck Duccaneer was located in Bugs Bunny National Park and is renamded Daffy duck Stars on Parade
- Kiddie-Go-Round (Herschell kiddie Carousel) re-installed near Log Flume exit in DC Comics Plaza.
- Moon Cars track modified to go around and through Evel Knievel rolloer coaster. Originally cars are replaced with Astroworld cars, which have roofs.
- Several sections of The Boss and Screamin' Eagle are re-tracked
- Slingshot is removed at the end of the season, moved to Six Flags Great Adventure.
2009: General Admission - $TBA Estimated Attendance - TBA
- Wahoo Racer (Proslides Technology Inc. 6-Lane "ProRacer" mat slide) - Added to Hurricane Harbor
- Glow in the Park Parade - Nightly Parade (summer only)
- Mr. Freeze is repainted with dark blue supports and track.
- Shazam is rebuilt
- Several sections of The Boss and Screamin' Eagle are re-tracked.